Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Parish is the oldest church in Colorado. The church was constructed in 1856. The first settlers into the area were from New Mexico, primarily from Abiquiu. As more people arrived, mission churches were set up and all had the records housed with Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish. When the neighboring town of Antonito was built, the Theatines, priests from Spain came into the area and built St. Augustine church in 1880 within Antonito. The church records from Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish are now housed at the church offices of Saint Augustine.
Our Lady of Guadeloupe Parish Church is located in Conejos, Colorado just North of the town of Antonito. It’s a short detour from Highway 285 but well worth the visit!
Photo courtesy of Southern Colorado Guide.