Population: 4,444 (2010) : Elevation: 7,664 ft : Annual Precipitation. Average 7.04″
Monte Vista boasts natural beauty that attracts outdoor enthusiasts and sightseers alike. In the surrounding wilderness, you will find people hiking, biking, climbing, and camping in the warm months or snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, and snowmobiling in the winter months.
A day (or two or three) can also be spent visiting the attractions in Monte Vista. Visitors come from far and wide to attend the Annual Crane Festival at the Monte Vista Wildlife Refuge. The Transportation of the West Museum incorporates early modes of transportation used in the San Luis Valley and is worth the visit!
You can play a round of 9 holes at Monte Vista Golf Course then enjoy a movie at the nostalgic Star Drive-In Theater. Of course, a trip to Monte Vista would not be complete without spending a leisurely day in historic downtown shopping for gifts and more. Make sure to stop and enjoy the local restaurants and their unique fare.
10 THINGS TO DO
1. Visit: Monte Vista Wildlife Refuge
2. Play: Monte Vista Golf Course
3. Ride: Monte Vista Mixed Scenic Railroad
4. Visit: Great Sand Dunes National Park
5. Picnic: Rock Creek Campground
6. Tour: Transportation of the West Museum
7. Enjoy: A Movie at the Star Drive Inn
8. Attend: Potato Festival
9. Attend: Ski Hi Stampede
10. Dine & Shop: Unique Restaurants and Stores